Landau Forte Academy QEMS is an 11-16 Academy situated to the north of Tamworth on a large and pleasant campus. We opened in September 2011, as part of the Landau Forte Charitable Trust family of schools, educating over 650 students in Years 7 to 11.
‘In partnership with parents/carers and the wider community including business and industry, Landau Forte Academy QEMS will provide a high quality education motivating and enabling its students to learn, achieve and to develop the skills, capability and confidence to succeed in all aspects of their lives’.
Ethos & Culture
- Student learning, attainment, achievement and well being are at the centre of strategic thinking, planning and actions.
- A ‘can do’ attitude is actively promoted and prevalent throughout the Academy.
- There is a culture of success where achievement is rewarded and celebrated.
- Underpinned by high aspirations and ambition for both students and staff there is an expectation for everyone to be determined and have a desire and commitment to continuously improve.
- The independent status of the Academy is fully embraced to encourage self confidence, a pro-active approach and taking responsibility for one’s own actions whilst enabling rapid and appropriate response to changing circumstances.
In working towards the Mission there are seven key areas of activity with a key objective for each:
In relation to students:
Create an environment and climate for learning where all people are valued and respected; are able to achieve of their best becoming equipped students with the qualifications, skills, qualities, confidence and attitudes necessary for successful adult life.
In relation to the curriculum:
Provide a broad and rigorous, innovative and effectively taught curriculum which has a scientific and business enterprise focus and critically provides students with a strong grounding in the areas of Mathematics and English as a platform for broader learning and achievement.
In relation to the staff:
Recruit, retain, reward and develop a high quality staff committed to working at Landau Forte Academy QEMS.
In relation to parents and carers:
Actively engage parents and carers as partners in the education of their children.
In relation to the operation of the Academy:
Ensure the operation of the Academy is efficient with sufficient resources deployed appropriately and effectively to achieve the key objectives.
In relation to business, industry and the wider community:
Develop and sustain close and mutually beneficial partnerships with business, industry and the wider community.
In relation to monitoring systems:
Establishing effective systems for monitoring which will inform the process of continuous improvement.
In fulfilling its mission, Academy students would become:
- Capable, adaptable and confident.
- Independent and autonomous learners.
- Self reliant but importantly able to work productively and positively
- Marketable and employable and/or have the capacity, confidence and
entrepreneurial spirit to become self employed.
- Responsible and respected citizens.
About the Academy
Landau Forte Academy QEMS was originally two schools; Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School and Mercian Boys School, which were amalgamated in 1979. The names consist of a reference to Queen Elizabeth I who granted Tamworth a charter, recognising that it was an ancient market town. Under her influence the town’s grammar school was restored, and local people named it Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School to honour her.
The reference to Mercian comes from the name Mercia, one of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. The earliest King of Mercia of whom any details are known is Creoda, said to have been the great-grandson of Icel. Coming to power around 584, he built a fortress at Tamworth which became the seat of Mercia’s kings.
At Landau Forte Academy QEMS there is a house system in place, with the students belonging to one house for the duration of their time here. Each house has a name steeped in Tamworth’s history – Freville, Guy, Offa, and Peel.
The Academy provides a distinctive style of education. The aim is to make learning challenging, interesting and relevant to the future to ensure that our students:
- Have acquired the ability to think logically and approach situations with an open and inquiring mind.
- Become independent learners.
- Have discovered and developed their personal strengths, aptitudes and interests.
- Are familiar with the expectations of future employers.
- Understand how industry is structured and operates.
- Are well equipped with the technological skills, adaptability and interpersonal skills necessary in employment and training.
- Have developed personal qualities of initiative, self-reliance and responsibility so that they grow into enterprising versatile and law abiding citizens.
- Are encouraged to contribute to a better society which takes into account the needs of others and shows respect for people and the environment.
About the Trust
Landau Forte Charitable Trust was established in 1989 and now operates 6 Primary, Secondary and Sixth Form Academies across the Midlands. Our education model and over 20 years of experience operating an innovative and forward thinking educational organisation has become the DNA from which more Landau Forte Academies have been developed.
We are passionate about educating children across the 4 – 19 age range. It is our intention to make a positive difference to the lives of young people with the ambition of securing the best education possible for them.
For more information about the Trust and our academies, we encourage you to visit the Landau Forte Charitable Trust website.
Contact details for the Trust can be found at the end of the Academy’s Contact page.
Directors and Trustees
|Martin Landau||President of the Trust, Principal Founding Sponsor, Chair of the Board of Directors and Trustee|
|The Hon Mrs Olga Polizzi, CBE||Deputy Chair of the Board of Directors and Trustee|
|The Hon Sir Rocco Forte||Founding Sponsor, Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Margaret Bell||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Alex Polizzi||Member of Board of Directors|
|Simon Shooter||Member of Board of Directors|