The Academy’s vision is to enhance students’ understanding of the world by guiding them in their educational journey with care and compassion. We develop young people to enjoy learning and progress with integrity, regardless of their differences or abilities.
As an academy we will offer an inspiring environment so that our students are able to succeed in a rapidly changing world. We firmly believe that to fully enrich the life chances of our students we will provide them with guidance and experiences, which will enhance their awareness of the challenges and opportunities for life beyond the Academy.
Our ethos, entrenched in every lesson, ensures respect, resilience and independence. We work in conjunction with our key stakeholders to ensure that students achieve.
Our curriculum aims to be:
- ambitious for all students;
- coherently planned and sequenced;
- successfully adapted, designed and developed for students with special educational needs and/or disabilities;
- broad and balanced
Through the delivery of a knowledge- based curriculum, we want students to:
- Achieve the best academic outcomes that they can as a springboard for a bright and successful future.
- Have a range of opportunities within the classroom and beyond that give students the opportunity for greater life choices.
- Become well-rounded individuals; socially, emotionally, spiritually and morally.
- Be confident in articulating viewpoints and ideas clearly and confidently in both the spoken and written form.
Put simply, we believe that all students have a right to the highest quality of teaching and learning.
We view the Curriculum as the sum total of all the learning experiences within the Academy not simply the identifiable subjects. Consequently, the learning programmes extend beyond the requirements of the National Curriculum and subject boundaries intending to fully develop our young people so that they may successfully contribute to a modern and increasingly global society.
In fulfilling our mission our students will become:
- Well-qualified and well educated.
- Capable, adaptable and confident.
- Independent and autonomous learners.
- Self-reliant but importantly able to work productively and positively with others.
- Marketable and employable and/or have the capacity, confidence and entrepreneurial spirit to become self-employed.
- Responsible and respected citizens.
There is a clear focus upon the core subjects:
With a strong emphasis on:
- Foreign Languages
- Physical and Creative Arts
- Humanities and Social Science
- Technology and Enterprise
During their early years at the Academy students follow programmes of learning which build upon their previous experiences from Primary School. New and exciting areas of study not always experienced at Primary School are also introduced.
Students will develop critical learning skills and habits that will prepare them well for their future. Some specialisation is encouraged which allows many students to begin gaining qualifications that recognise their achievements during this period. We find that success is a hard habit to break.
Students build upon their experiences from Key Stage 3 studying for GCSE and Vocational qualifications during Key Stage 4 (14 – 16 age range). The core of English, Maths and Science remains critical but students make guided choices to ensure they make the most of their abilities and have clear progression routes post 16.
Throughout the curriculum all students take part in work related learning and work placement activities. As a result each student has a broad foundation which over time is increasingly personalised to fully release the potential and to meet the ambition and aspirations of the individual.
Key Stage 4 courses offered
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- DT (Food & Textiles)
- English (Language & Literature)
- Film Studies
- Health & Social Care
- Performing Arts
- Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Combined)
You can view the curriculum map for each year group via the links below.
If you would like more information about the curriculum the Academy follows then please contact us.